Picking the Best Double Stroller for Your Needs
Finding the best double stroller is not an easy task. Establishing your needs and modes of use is one of the first major factors to consider. Your children's age and size (some toddlers are very tall and they need more leg room) as well as the difference of age between them play also a key role in selecting the best double stroller for your family.
Let's not forget to mention the frequency or purpose of use: is this for everyday use on the city sidewalks or are you also planning riding it on terrains or cobbled pavement? Will this be your children's temporary travel system or will you stick to only one stroller from their infancy through their toddler years? And of course maybe more importantly how much are you willing to spend on this indispensable vehicle?
Double stroller for two toddlers or twins
Double stroller for one toddler and one infant
Double stroller for two infants (twins)
Luckily there are ton of well-designed and built products out there that will suit various conditions and fulfill different needs. But choosing from so many options could also be overwhelming not to mention dizzying. This is a big but more importantly a crucial investment for the comfort of your children but also of your own for the next 2 to 4 years to come, so it shouldn't be taken lightly.
No need to panic though... Let's start reviewing the basics to make the selecting ride as fun and as informative as possible. Main difference in double strollers is the fact that they are either in-line (tandem) or side-by-side. And there are pros and cons to each category. And each category contains various types with different functionality and price points.
But once you establish your (as well as your child(ren)'s needs) you can easily narrow down your choices and pick the right one for you.
Two Basic Categories for Double Strollers
Tandem (in-line) Double Stroller
Side by Side Double Stroller
Categories for Side by Side Double Strollers
Double Umbrella Strollers
- These are considered lightweight double stroller that folds compactly
- They are small in volume they occupy and their footprint is smaller too.
- They are easy to travel with.
- They fit well in almost any car.
- They are airport friendly.
- They cost very little compare to other side by side strollers.
- They are scarce in storage compare to other bigger double stroller types.
Medium Size or Regular Double Strollers
- These are smooth surface strollers with medium sized wheels.
- They are still considered lightweight compare to their bigger cousins.
- They offer more storage than umbrella stroller or jogger double strollers.
- They all have reclining seats separately/independently and a canopy.
- They are, generally speaking, more expensive than umbrella strollers.
All Terrain Double Strollers
All-terrain double strollers come with heavy-duty wheels. Some have one, some have two front wheels that would swivel or lock. Some of them could be used for short jogging sessions on even and smooth surfaces.
- Not only kids find them comfortable and spend most of their lives on them, but also parents love them because it makes their life much easier in many ways.
- It's a breeze to push them (a very important criteria for the adults).
- They are bigger providing more room for your kids to ride comfortably in them.
- They offer more storage than umbrella double strollers and medium size strollers.
- They usually have padded seat reclining to a near flat position with vented seat tops.
- Most carry large adjustable sun canopies with peek a boo windows.
- Some have adjustable handlebar suiting users' height.
- Most are car seat compatible.
- They are, generally speaking, heavier and occupy more volume when in open position or folded. So they won't fit in small car trunks.
- Not all provide compact fold.
- Usually they are more expensive than medium size strollers.
- Although most can accommodate children of different ages, not all will do. In that case the stroller name will have "twin" word associated to it.
- Most do not offer reversible seat(s).
Double Jogging Strollers
These are for serious joggers and committed runners because they differentiate in their features compare to all-terrain or medium size double strollers.
- They have one big wheel or two wheels that are well constructed and filled with air. In some models they are fixed and in some other models are switchable from swivel to fixed.
- Multi-position seat reclining.
- Generally speaking they are less expensive than all-terrain stroller and some of medium size double strollers.
- Most have rear brake for quick and easy stopping when you need your hands free.
- Most have large adjustable sun canopies with peek a boo windows and side vents.
- Storage space, although is much generous compare to all umbrella strollers and maybe to some medium size ones, it's definitely on the small side compare to all-terrain double strollers.
- None offers reversible seat(s).